What would you like to see happen today....?
That was the question Charlie asked her when we sat her down on the mat in the therapy room for an initial assesment.
"I want to walk", she said with a determined smile. It was an impossible goal. She is 23, dystonic (contracted muscles) and has never walked in her entire life. Charlie, Lisa & Katie went to work using the equipment already here, some braces we brought with us & all of her strength and patience. Our Dad was also working right before our eyes. She grimmaced and wobbled to a stand with the team supproting her behind and a small "therapy ladder" in front to lean on. Soon, sweat was dripping down her nose falling over a magnificent, beaming smile as she leaned on the little ladder and took the first steps of her life. The room burst out with excitement as right before our eyes, she walked back and forth across the room. The older lady that lives and works on the special needs floor came quick, as did a couple of others. Back and forth, she kept going and going, smiling, shouting, not wanting to stop, until her strength was all gone. Charlie said he has never seen a moment like this in all his years. I couldn't help but think about my kid's first steps (this is Todd). As an orphan, she had no parents here to share this moment, but what a gift for us to be the ones to be priveleged to see such incredible moment, and love on her. Our Dad has given us treasures. That was Monday; on Tuesday we brouht the ladder over to the special needs floor and it happened all over again! The Team is training the staff to put on the braces and continue the progress.
3 comments:
That is SO exciting! I am GREATLY enjoying seeing pictures of the kids I saw back in June! Though also saddened to know that they have not been adopted. Yet, God is faithful and it is not out of His hands!! As we can see with the miracle you shared with us! Thank you!
hey yall! this is so cool, i can't imagine how awesome it is to be a part of what yall are doing! the pictures speak loudly and say so much, i can really tell how much these kids love yall, and how much yall love them. if yall bring them home, you count me in to help out! lol, we miss yal and we're praying for you. love you mom, e-mail soon!
love, Rachel
I needed to see this today, it keeps things in perspective--With tears streaming down my face-I am smiling seeing all of the hard work you guys are doing there--I know it is hard-I know you are seeing a lot and most likely feeling overwhelmed--you are doing your father's work--stay focused and stay strong--Lisa I love you and I am very proud to be your friend! Susie
Post a Comment